Wednesday, November 18, 2009

ZenPro Audio


ZenPro Audio is owned and operated by musician/engineer Warren Dent; the equipment he carries in his online store is top shelf audio gear personally selected and recommended based on his own recording experience. I don't have a recording studio and thus don't have a need for much of his high end equipment, but I am always looking for ways to improve the live sound of The Homegrown String Band. The key to our success has been "keeping it real." Keeping our performances down to earth involves interacting with our audience while maintaining a relaxed and sincere performance style, as well as preserving the natural sound of our acoustic instruments. (We have pickups we can use but only as a last resort.) To my ears, the beauty of acoustic music has to be captured, in the air, by high quality microphones. That's where Warren comes in. I've purchased two very reasonably priced high quality mics from him in the past six months.

About twelve years ago we started using a one mic set up, gathering around an AT 4033 (recommended by Del McCoury). Two years ago we added a second AT 4033 to our main stand and a Shure SM 57 on a separate stand for Mama Georgianne's dulcimer and doumbek. The new set up allows us to get closer to the microphones, which improves the sound quality and increases the volume a bit while remaining unplugged. This summer, in an effort to boost the volume of the guitar and mandolin, I decided to add a third mic to our front line. I thought I already had the perfect mic, an old AKG C1000, but that microphone seems to have vanished, either left behind at a gig or got up and walked away, who knows. Anyway, I started using a Shure 545SD, which was working pretty well, but I thought a small diaphragm condenser mic might be better. I contacted Warren at ZenPro and sent him a list of mics I was considering. He quickly responded and suggested the CAD M179, a large diaphragm condenser with dial in pick up patterns. WOW, this mic is great! It grabs the sound from the guitar and sends it pure and unadulterated through the PA and out to the audience. I never would have even considered this mic if not for Warren's recommendation.

Oh, did I mention the quality of ZenPro's service? I received the mic within 48 hrs, free shipping, a free xlr cord, and, get this, a bag of roasted coffee beans!  If you read my last post you know how I love my coffee!  

"ZenPro Audio is owned and operated by me, Warren Dent. I have family and friends who assist me to keep things running as smoothly as possible, so most things here would be referred to as "I" but there is a "we" involved in many aspects of this operation. I'm the guy who decides what lines to carry, and most times that reason is because I have used the gear in the studio and realize it has value. We can assist you in your purchase and recommend the right products for you, not based on profit. I am not a low pressure guy, I am a no pressure guy. I have found happiness in ZenPro Audio and it is my goal not to just treat you "fair", but to go above and beyond to make it the greatest gear buying experience on Earth for YOU."  - Warren Dent / Owner

In these days of megastore monopolies it's refreshing to do business with a guy like Warren Dent. If you're in the market for any quality recording or live sound gear check out ZenPro Audio.

1 comment: