Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Scourge Spraying Tonight!

We got a robo call last night announcing that our neighborhood would be sprayed with Scourge tonight. The purpose of the spraying is to kill mosquitoes that carry the West Nile Virus. There have been no reported cases of WNV on Long Island this year. I researched Scourge a bit today and found that Scourge (resmethrin) is a broad based insecticide that will indiscriminately kill all insects including, bees, spiders, butterflies, ladybugs . . . I called the Suffolk County Division of Vector Control and explained that I have an organic garden teeming with beneficial insects that I do not want killed, I also asked why residents were not consulted and why we were given such short notice warning us to close our windows to avoid potential human health hazards. I was told my neighborhood would be sprayed, but I could put my property on the “No Spray List” I was also told that if I had any questions about the process I should call Dr. Tomarken at the Suffolk County Health Department. If you are in the area between Hallockville Rd and the Shoreham Town border north of 25A (or any other area scheduled for spraying) you have a couple hours to call and ask if your property can be spared.

Suffolk County Division of Vector Control 631-852-4270
Suffolk County Health Department 631-854- 0100


Here's an article about the dangers and ineffectiveness of spraying Scourge, and other poisons, to combat West Nile Virus. 
http://www.rense.com/general39/scourge.htm
http://thyroid.about.com/library/weekly/aa072600a.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment